History of English Churches and Chapels
in Switzerland from 1840 to present day.
(This list is being gradually updated to include all Anglican Churches built in Switzerland. Unfortunately many of the churches have now been demolished and information has either been lost or is hard to find. If you have any information you would like to share, please contact us at the following address: info(a)stpeters.ch)
Canton of Vaud
History of St. John the Evangelist, Aigle Records show that summer seasonal services were held in the Grand Hotel des Bains in 1885. A chapel, named St. John the Evangelist was built in the neo-gothic style in the grounds of the hotel and inaugurated on 21 June 1888. The chapel could seat 70 to 100 people.
History of St. Michael and All Angels, Caux The church was built in 1905. It was dedicated on 1 February 1906 to St Michael and All Angels. The Church has beautiful stained glass windows which form a series illustrative of the ministry of angels. They were, except one, a gift from Mr Herbert Edgar Reid. The
History of St. Peter’s, Chateau d’Oex Château d’Oex had a community of Anglicans as early as 1866 when it was placed on the chaplaincy list of the then Colonial and Continental Church Society (CCCS). Land was given to the Anglican community in 1888 by the Hotel Berthod and the foundation stone of the church was laid
History of English Chapel, Glion History to be added. Date of first Chaplaincy: 1864 Church dates: 1888 Patron: Intercontinental Church Society (ICS) Hotel: Hotel Victoria Current Status: Demolished in 1960s Sources Anglicans in Switzerland, Past and Present, Paul SchniewinedVictoria Hotel Further Reading Hotel Victoria, Notre Histoire (French)
History of Christ Church, Lausanne The first constitution of the English Church was drawn up in July 1818. Original services were held at the Chapelle de la Mercerie and then in the newly constructed church at Croix d'Ouchy. The first stone of Christ Church was laid on 19th June 1877. The building work was rapidly completed
History of Temple de la Croix d’Ouchy, Lausanne-Ouchy In 1840 In collaboration with the Vaud Reformed Church, construction of the Temple de la Croix d’Ouchy was completed. A well known English philanthropist, William Haldimand made a generous donation of CHF 75’000.—towards the cost of the building. The new church was shared with the official Vaud Protestant