Grand Hotel des Bains, Aigle, Vaud
Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (SPG)
1885 – Chaplaincy in Grand Hotel
1881 – Chapel built
1914 – Chapel closed
1986 – Chapel demolished following fire
Closed in 1914. Demolished following a fire in 1986.
Records show that summer seasonal services were held in the Grand Hotel des Bains in 1885. A chapel, named St. John the Evangelist was built in the neo-gothic style in the grounds of the hotel and inaugurated on 21 June 1888. The chapel could seat 70 to 100 people. After the second world war, The hotel was sold to the Commune of Aigle and was demolished in 1947. The church was closed in 1914 and by 1947, after the demolition of the hotel, the building was used for storage. In 1986, the church was demolished following a fire that took place during works on the roof..
Anglicans in Switzerland, Past and Present, Paul W. Schniewind
Balade dans les rue d’Aigle, Christine Dey