History of St. Peter’s, Chateau d’Oex
Château d’Oex had a community of Anglicans as early as 1866 when it was placed on the chaplaincy list of the then Colonial and Continental Church Society (CCCS). Land was given to the Anglican community in 1888 by the Hotel Berthod and the foundation stone of the church was laid on June 28, 1899, by Bishop Wilkinson. The church was opened on 30 September of the same year. In 1905 the building was extended with the addition of a north aisle as it was too small for the number of congregants. Extensive restoration has taken place in 2017 and continues in 2018. St Peter’s holds regular services each Sunday at 17h30.
Date of first Chaplaincy: 1866
Church dates: 1899 to present
Patron: Intercontinental Church Society (ICS)
Affiliated Hotel: Berthod
Current Status: Used all year round.
Hotel Berthod, Château d’Oex
St Peter’s Web Site
Documents of Interest
Petition from Continental and Colonial Church Society (1901)
Consecration of St. Peter’s by Bishop of London (1902)
Commission of St. Peter’s by Bishop of London (1902)