The Church Today
St Peter’s, the Anglican Church in Chateau d’Oex, continues to play an important role in the Pays-d’Enhaut and Saanenland, in spite of the fact that the number of British citizens has been decreasing over the last few decades. It is the only Anglican Church in the Swiss mountains which continues to hold weekly services throughout the year.
St Peter’s is an important social centre for English-speaking people living in the area, as well as those who are seasonal residents (with second homes) and other visitors to the region. It organises monthly suppers, guest speakers and special events and is ideal for weddings, baptisms and other rites. The trend in attendance is growing — in 2015 approximately 2000 people attended services over the year.
- Peak attendance is always at the Christmas carol service when 150- 200 people attend.
- The Intercontinental Church Society (ICS) is the patron of both
- St Peter’s in Chateau d’Oex and All Saints in Vevey where the minister/vicar is based. St Peter’s works together with the local churches for events such as Ecumenical Week and the annual Children’s Festi- val. It also supports the Swiss charities Arocha and Medair.
It is of paramount importance to maintain the church building in good condition to ensure the sustainability of its services — not only for the present but also for future generations.
The Church Windows
The church has a welcoming ambiance that is enhanced by the sim-plicity of the stained-glass windows on the side walls. After over 100 years, these windows now have to be restored if we want to keep the church in good condition for future generations.
We have been fortunate to find an experienced restorer in Saanen who is prepared to do this for us.
The church has, altogether, 14 windows – as marked on the plan (at right). The three chancel windows (A, B, C) are very precious and depict parables from the bible. The windows on either side of the nave (1-11) are simpler and give the church its cosy atmosphere.
The Restoration Plan
The objective of the restoration is:
- to improve the stability of the glass to deal with movement;
- to replace cracked panes;
- to install insulation glazing on the outside of all the nave windows and, possibly, also the chancel windows;
- to improve the ability of the windows to absorb changes in temperature.
How to contribute and help
All donations are needed and welcome. The estimated cost of this restoration is CHF140,000. With a donation of CHF 12,000 you can sponsor a complete window and we will be pleased to put a plaque with your name on it next to the window, inside the church.
Payments may be made in several ways. Please be sure to note in the comments field of whichever form you complete that your con- tribution is for “St. Peter’s Church Windows, Chateau d’Oex”.
- Using the pink bank slip/PC 10-725-4. Pink payment slips are available in the entrance hall of St. Peter’s. You can also re- quest some from the treasurer, Guy Girardet, email@example.com
- You can make a bank transfer to the address below: St. Peter’s Church Château d’OexBanque Cantonale VaudoiseIBAN CH08 0076 7000 K055 3316 0 BIC/SWIFT: BCVLCH2LXXX
- UK residents can make a contribution via the website of the Intercontinental Church Society (ICS) and claim Gift Aid. The ICS website: http://ics-uk.org/supporting-ics/donate